West Elm RISD Cottage Tour

West Elm RISD Cottage Tour


Although I've never had a chance to visit the new RISD Cottage, I feel like I have a bit of a connection to it.  Approximately 1 year ago I received amazing news that the art and design school in Providence, RI, where my parents attended and where they met each other for the first time acquired one of my artworks. My mother would use the RISD Museum as a form of child care, when she went back to finish up her degree in Textile Design.  My sister and I had the extraordinary privilege to be able to attend the museum's after-school art classes drawing from the many master works that hung on the walls.  


 Years later, I was able to attend RISD myself as a student where I thrived artistically and developed so many deep and long lasting personal relationships.  Directly after graduate school, my first professional teaching job was visiting professor in  the RISD ceramic program.  It was truly my dream job.


 When I found out that West Elm was planning on writing an article about the connection between RISD alumni 
and their company, I was thrilled that my graphite and charcoal self-portrait titled "Shut Up Until You Turn Blue", would be part of the photo shoot.  Everything within the cottage was designed by RISD Alumni, and many are a part of the West Elm design team.  So although I'm currently living 3,000 miles away from the school that I once called home, I can look into these pictures, see my crazy face, and feel like I'm partially still there.

Comments

  1. What a beautiful connection to have....a connection of the heart.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"The Eyes Have It"