MY CURRENT PROCESS


My creative process has changed a lot over the course of my career and I'm sure it will continue to change in the future.  Lately it's been "involved" to say the least.  I've been beginning my process by sketching in 2-dimensions very rough image ideas based on selected characters that I find fun to look at such as "Humpty Dumpty".
 ( *Refer to above sketch)


Next, I translate the rough idea from 2-dimensions to 3-dimensions, where it really gets interesting and more visually complex. I do this at a very small scale (3-5 inches generally). It also helps me work out ideas for the story I want to tell and incorporates the sgraffito surface technique that I enjoy so much.
(*refer to clay maquettes above)

And then I jump back to the two dimensional world and create a charcoal drawing.  This is a jump in scale, being that the drawings are usually in the 18 x 24 inch range.  This allows me to see the idea bigger as well as refine my approach to lighting.  Also, i just love working in charcoal.  It's my guilty art pleasure.
(*above charcoal on paper, 18 x 24 inches)


Finally, I construct a ceramic sculpture at a scale similar to the charcoal drawing.
This is a lot of time and energy to devote to a single image and by the time that I finish with this final stage, I'm very ready to move on to the next idea.  I'm already trying to think about how I can play around with, because I would like to get to realizing more "different" ideas.
(*above 2 views of "Unstable Genius", ceramic, sgraffito)








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"The Eyes Have It"

West Elm RISD Cottage Tour